Friday, September 22, 2006

Extra cake?

If you are the groom, stop reading! (though the chances that he is actually reading this are very slim.) I had always thought that the idea of a groom's cake (which are supposedly making a comeback) was just another wedding industry excuse for brides to spend more money so I thought I'd never even consider having one. The idea behind a groom's cake is that it is a gift to the groom from the bride (I once read that the traditional wedding cake is sometimes called the bridal cake or something) and it is often made to reflect the interests and tastes of the groom. Traditionally, the groom's cake would be sliced up and packaged for guests to take home. There are some superstitions about single women sleeping with it under their pillow and some variations on how a future husband would be in store for them.

Unlike the tiered white cakes that are often seen in weddings, the groom's cake is more casual and fun. So, for instance, if I were to get a groom's cake for Dear, it'd be the face of his latest watch (also the wedding gift I got for him a while back). The thing is, I think the idea and first glance at the cake would garner oohs and aahs but then afterwards, it's just a tiny detail that most won't appreciate. And Dear, being the practical person that he is, would probably rather save that extra money for some gadget that he can play with for longer than five minutes, rather than the extra calories the cake would be. However, I am also concerned that there isn't enough cake for everyone (we were going to supplement the existing tiered wedding cake with a dessert bar). So should I bother with this (somewhat expensive) detail? Any brides out there doing a groom's cake?

Here are some groom's cakes I thought were interesting:

And if I were to have a groom's cake, it'd be like this. But instead of a poker chip design, it'd be like this watch face.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting idea as I've never heard of a groom's cake. Will this be in lieu of the traditional wedding cake? If not, as much as I like the idea of a Panerai inspired cake (will definitely need to take and post pics of that one on the watch fora), I think Dear would definitely prefer the money be spent on more tangible items like - hint, hint - a dSRL camera. :)

If you decide to go ahead with the groom's cake, drop me an email and I'll try to get a better photo of the watch for your baker to replicate.

just r said...

HAHAHAHA, that's what I thought. We already have a traditional tiered wedding cake, but I'm not sure if we accounted for enough servings....